New simplified installation procedure on Windows

From that page, just click on 10/ and continue down the directory levels until you find what you are looking for. Or follow one of the direct links given in the detailed instructions above.

I tried installing 64 bit version (Windows 10) and have the two following issues:

• During install, I got the popup error message “Warning! PATH too long installer unable to modify PATH”
  • Running cmd as admin, I entered >dot -c and it returned " ‘dot’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file". However, dot.exe does appear in the path ProgramFiles/GraphViz 2.44.1/bin

This problem is reported as "Warning! PATH too long installer unable to modify PATH!" using CMake Windows installer and PATH length > 1024 (#1770) ¡ Issues ¡ graphviz / graphviz ¡ GitLab which is fixed, but not yet released. You may want to install a development version from https://www2.graphviz.org/Packages/development/windows/10/cmake/Release/x64/ instead.

OK, that worked.

Now to figure out how to run this thing… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good information thanks for sharing
vmware

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get graphviz to install such that my fastai notebook would use it and this worked. Nice and simple.

1 Like

Punct 3 required authentification in gitlab. Is it possible to download it without creating a Gitlab account?

Trying to get the software installed today and I keep getting a 404 error on both the website and when I try to use winget.

FYI v2.46.0 got released yesterday and used a new automated build process, which attached the assets to the release in GitLab. But this has introduced some issues:

1. To get the 2.46.0 installer you need a GitLab account
  2. I think there was an attempt to redirect the existing download page to this new location and something went wrong (as you can’t access the old downloads currently - which is why winget is no longer working).

Thank you, schmoo2k.

We are in the process of fixing this (login required to download issue), but it may take a little while.

FYI winget should now be working again (but won’t be upgraded to 2.46.0 until the GitLab auth issue is resoved).

@schmoo2k, if you want to fix the Winget setup while we still wrangle over the website, the fix for the auth issue is to just link to the underlying generic package files directly instead of the release artifacts. Not sure which file(s) you need, but they are:

1 Like

I will do - I was going to default to this one:

PR is here: feat(graphviz): Add version 2.46.0 by GordonSmith ¡ Pull Request #6422 ¡ microsoft/winget-pkgs (github.com)

Edit: This has now been pulled so 2.46.0 x64 is live in winget…

All links in this article have now been updated to point to package files that can be downloaded without a GitLab account.

1 Like

The website’s download page is now updated. Apologies for the delay.

Hi Everyone

I did two installs using the executable for both 64 bits and 32 bits on windows 10 home edition.
followed the instructions, the install run fine. I can not see Graphviz.exe executable anywhere, though in the bin directory there are a lot of different executable. The windows 10 start menu shows “Uninstall” (this is by the way the only exe i see under the main Graphviz folder in both 32 and 64 bits. I am a newbie. tried reading or did all the replies but still could not tell how to run the program yet. I have Version 1909 of win 10. it is possible that Graphvizexe is missing ? and what would be the .exe i need to run, what do the different executables do?. I am sorry if the details are in a manual somewhere a pdf, a readme or something? could not see anything in all folders on my machine to read.

Thanks.

dot.exe is the main program. You need to run it from the Command Prompt or from PowerShell. See PowerShell is replacing Command Prompt - Microsoft Support.

Once you’ve started one of these; try running dot -h for help.

1 Like

See also the Graphviz Documentation | Graphviz.

I don’t see any sense in these wizards and installers. On my Windows XP, I have always used Graphviz by putting its libraires and executables into my bin directory, registered in the PATH environment variable. This is the simplest and cleanest way to install a program, without polluting the registry.