.deb install of 11.0 not taking

When attempting to install ubuntu_22.04_graphviz-11.0.0-cmake.deb I get the following message:

(Reading database ... 1058765 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack ubuntu_22.04_graphviz-11.0.0-cmake.deb ...
Unpacking graphviz (11.0.0) over (2.42.2-6) ...
Setting up graphviz (11.0.0) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1) ...

When typing $ dot -V I get:

dot - graphviz version 2.43.0 (0)
profiling:/builds:Cannot create directory
profiling:/builds/graphviz/graphviz/build/cmd/dot/CMakeFiles/dot.dir/dot.c.gcda:Skip

Using dot from the command line gives many messages like this: Indirect leak of 192 byte(s) in 6 object(s) allocated from: #0 0x7f6bb951ca57 ... etc.

I am able to display the resulting png file, but this is weird. Also, the version is incorrectly listed …or is it. Did version 11 not really install?

This is unfortunately a long standing problem, .deb binary installation

So is the only way to install is to compile the code myself, or is there another install method? I am finding that dot most times completes (with the leak messages), but sometimes it just fails. Thanks for at least cluing me in to the situation with .deb installs.

Is there a particular feature from 11.0.0 you need? Despite the massive version number jump, there’s actually not a lot of difference between 2.42.2 (available natively in Ubuntu 22.04) and 11.0.0 for command line use.

If you want to build from source, the ubuntu-22.04 directory in the repository’s ci directory will tell you what dependencies to install and then download the 11.0.0 tarball from the download page, untar that, ./configure --prefix=/somewhere/to/install && make && make install.