Absolute beginner - how do I create a dot file

Hi there. I just installed Graphviz on Windows 10 and installation was successful.
I am following the book “Land of Lisp” by Conrad Barski and in Chapter 7 he writes
…First you’ll create a DOT file that describes the shape of your graph. For example in Graphviz, create a file named test.dot on your computer and enter the following information…

Now I looked in the folder that Graphviz installed and there are lots of executables there but none with the name of Graphviz. What program do I use to create the dot file?

Thanks
Frank

1 Like

There is no specific program that you have to use to create a Dot file. Dot files are text files, so any text editor will do. Like notepad, or vim, or emacs, or any of the many other text file editors.
Or, you can use lisp to create your dot input file! If you can use lisp to print out to a file, you can make the output file legal Dot statements.
My suggestion is to use notepad (or some editor) once or twice to create simple Dot input files, and to practice using Dot command line. Then go to town and use lisp to create many Dot input files. Enjoy.

1 Like

Thanks very much!

1 Like

For the record, Graphviz is name of the whole software package, including libraries and executables. The principal executables are those like dot, neato, and sfdp, which take a dot input file and produce a layout of the graph. The other executables are various utility programs, like gc, for producing statistics about the graph, or ccomps, which determines the connected components of the graph, or gvgen which can be used to generate various types of graphs.

1 Like