I consider to create this kind of node type within Graphviz.
I would like to have:
- a type label with a dedicated colour (here “Step” with green color) and/or
- inclusion of icons (e.g. SVG)
What would be the necessary steps I would need to follow to give such an attempt a chance?
Many thanks in advance!
I believe that record-style labels fail in two ways:
- no embedded images
- no multi-color nodes.
Html-like labels get much closer.
- background colors work fine
- rounded edges work in theory, but had problems with background colors
- images can be embedded - in a separate cell
- image sizing can be a problem It is probably best to explicitly size/resize the image outside of Graphviz and not mess with fixedsize, height and width.
- needs some work on the edges
<TABLE CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" BORDER="1" cellborder="0">
<TR><TD colspan="1" bgcolor="green1">Step</TD></TR>
<TABLE CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" BORDER="1" cellborder="0" >
<TR><TD colspan="2" bgcolor="green1">Step</TD></TR>
<TR><TD FIXEDSIZE="true" height="20" width="20"><IMG SRC="cow.png" scale="true"/></TD><TD>some text</TD></TR>
n1 -> n2
Thanks Steve! This is a lot closer to what I was able to achieve. It looks good! I will use this.
I thought that it is tricky to do it with the current abilities. I was therefore looking for guidance to do some coding. If I/anyone would want to extend the Graphviz code for a new type of node then what do I need to consider? is there any documentation on this?
I see that my question doesn’t fully show my intention.
Thanks for providing me this.
See this: FAQ | Graphviz
Any general-purpose or even kind-of general purpose additions would be great.
However, before you get into the guts of the code, consider these possibilities:
- Creating (complex) images outside of Graphviz and than using the image attribute
- The class attribute (class | Graphviz)
- Positioning nodes on top of each other
Great resources. Thank you! I will need to play around with these possibilities.