This is essentially a question for the other maintainers, but I saw no reason to have this discussion in private, so posting it to the public “Help” topic.
I don’t deal with the Windows builds/releases, so I regularly forget what the status quo is there and I’m surprised when I rediscover it. We currently have the following CI tasks for Windows:
- 32-bit CMake debug
- 32-bit CMake release
- 64-bit CMake debug
- 64-bit CMake release
- 32-bit MSBuild debug
- 32-bit MSBuild release
I have the following questions:
- Why are there no 64-bit MSBuild tasks? I’m sure someone has explained this to me before, but I can’t remember why and can’t locate the relevant issue(s) with the explanation. If it’s explained on Gitlab, could someone drop a pointer to the relevant issue?
- The mixture of debug and release ZIPs hosted on graphviz.org don’t seem consistent to me. Is this intentional? Here’s what I’m seeing:
To get more specific with my second question above:
- why are the 32-bit builds under “x86” for the development binaries but “Win32” for the stable binaries?
- why are there 64-bit debug CMake development binaries but no 64-bit debug CMake stable binaries?
- why are 2.44.1 and 2.38 available, but nothing in-between?
None of this is meant to be a complaint. I’m just trying to comprehend why this structure exists and whether it’s deliberate.