I would love to see an expand/hide. Here a few thoughts:
- the Power BI example uses a tree where is it simple to see what can be hidden or expanded. But in a general graph with cycles, it isn’t as easy.
- The number of combination of potential subtrees which are expanded or hidden leads quickly to a too big number of potential pre-layouted graphs, so a on-the-fly layouting would be needed.
- For a tree a simple layout can be generated without even using Graphviz
- For a generic graph that has cycles, WASM version of Graphviz could be used.
- In a general graph it would make sense to do this on a set of nodes, hence on a cluster/subgraph. The subgraph would either:
- collapse into a single node and all edges into the subgraph or coming out would be starting/ending at that node.
- not shown at all (how to unhide?)
- I assume that such an expand/hide would then require a new layout for the now newly “changed” graph. (->WASM)
- Subgraphs could be created by a selection on the fly and don’t need to be pre-defined.
Would love so see such a component.