Does anyone here know CMake?

I have no idea. I know very little about linking and libraries in general and about Windows linking and libraries in particular. Basically what I learnt by trial and error the last couple of months.

That was very close, but the pango plugin couldnā€™t find pango_cairo_context_set_font_options

It appears a correct patch to FindPangoCairo.cmake is instead

find_package(PkgConfig)
pkg_check_modules(PANGOCAIRO pangocairo)

I kept your patch to plugin/pango/CMakeLists.txt

The build work for me.
Is there a fix that wonā€™t break the windows build? That would be even better.

Thank you for your trouble.

Ah yes, sorry, I typoed the library name.

I tried to turn this into a more acceptable patch and immediately discovered why itā€™s not done this way: Windows does not have pkg-config. Using pkg-config on platforms that do have it seems too reasonable to give up, so it seems we have two options:

1. preserve the existing custom steps for Windows-only; or
  2. require people using CMake (and CI) to install pkg-config.

Iā€™ve implemented (1) here. Can I get some opinions from people in this thread? If weā€™re in favor of this, Iā€™ll go ahead and submit this as an MR.

Unexpectedly, the dot command installed by CMake-based make DESTDIR=$HOME install is in $HOME/usr/local/bin (thatā€™s not what I had in mind) and despite all the above effort,

$ /Users/north/usr/local/bin/dot -Tpdf:?
Format: "pdf:?" not recognized. Use one of: pdf:quartz:quartz
$

quartz? no cairopango?

However

$ ls $HOME/usr/local/lib/graphviz
libgvplugin_core.6.0.0.dylib		libgvplugin_gd.dylib
libgvplugin_core.6.dylib		libgvplugin_neato_layout.6.0.0.dylib
libgvplugin_core.dylib			libgvplugin_neato_layout.6.dylib
libgvplugin_dot_layout.6.0.0.dylib	libgvplugin_neato_layout.dylib
libgvplugin_dot_layout.6.dylib		libgvplugin_pango.6.0.0.dylib
libgvplugin_dot_layout.dylib		libgvplugin_pango.6.dylib
libgvplugin_gd.6.0.0.dylib		libgvplugin_pango.dylib
libgvplugin_gd.6.dylib
$

Should this be moved over to an issue in gitlab?

Probably, yes. Since we have no idea if the macOS build worked before any of these changes (hint: it probably did not), itā€™s not even clear what weā€™re troubleshooting here.

By the way, this is not how you achieve this in the CMake world. What you want is:

$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME ...
$ make && make install

Just linking up this old forum post: Iā€™m running into a similar-but-slightly-different issue, so I filed an issue in GitLab: Can't build with cmake on macOS: "ld: library not found for -lpangocairo-1.0" (#2286) Ā· Issues Ā· graphviz / graphviz Ā· GitLab