Creating a library/collection of gvpr scripts

I think it would be a good Idea to create a library/collection of gvpr script, with a description of what it does and how it is used.
This would give people a good place to look for what they need.
For example Straitening one line throu a table I am sure that there will be people that could use it, yes that would require that everyone that took part in creating this script to agree and I do not know how it would work with Licensing and so but I think this a problem that can be solved.

I have suggested (pleaded?) repeatedly to the regular gvpr script posters to submit their creations to cmd/gvpr/lib in the main Graphviz repository. Anything here gets automatically shipped to BSD, Linux, macOS, and Windows ecosystems.

Cool didn’t know about that. A Readme with a overview over the scripts would still be good

I appreciate the good-natured nudge from @smattr, and have officially added “learn git” to my TODO list. (Old dogs & new tricks issue on my part).
Until the time that I start adding to the Graphviz repository, here is a link to my shared gvpr programs, though most are large-ish & somewhat complex. All-in-all, I seem to have >200 lurking on my PC, so deciding which are worth submitting to the repository may be a task.
Stackoverflow is another source of gvpr examples.

Some quick thoughts about making a good repository:

• As @wieserfalke mentioned, a README
  • A pointer to the repository on the Graphviz website
  • Some standards (or suggestions)
    • documentation
    • formatting
    • coding
    • comments (added this to see if anyone read this far)
  • A library of shared functions (tough with no #include and no local variables)
  • A process that will (try to) guarantee that the gvpr repository does not interfere with the important stuff - the on-going support & improvement of Graphviz.
1 Like

gvpr does support the C pre-processor (#include). It will even interpret the #line directives left by the pre-processor.

I am not sure what you mean by this. The last semantically meaningful change to cmd/gvpr/lib was 7 years ago. It’s pretty isolated from the rest of the code base and we’re not space-constrained. From my perspective, you could dump all your 200+ scripts in there as-is. A lack of commenting or consistent formatting isn’t going to meaningfully impact code quality in the repo.